How many teens are becoming pregnant?
- Despite declines in rates of teen pregnancy in the U.S., about 820,000 teens become pregnant each year. That means that 34 percent of teenagers have at least one pregnancy before they turn 20.
- 79 percent of teenagers who become pregnant are unmarried.
- Utah’s teen pregnancy rate is high, as well as Southern teen pregnancy but these are areas where women still get married prior to the age of 20 with some regularity (although this is changing).
- 80 percent of teenage pregnancies are unintended.
- Nearly four in ten teenage girls whose first intercourse experience happened at 13 or 14 report that the sex was unwanted or involuntary.
- The main rise in the teen pregnancy rate is among girls younger than 15*
- Close to 25 percent of teen mothers have a second child within two years of the first birth.*
What do teens think of sexual activity?*
- 82 percent feel that teens should not be sexually active.
- 72 percent agreed that teens that are sexually active should have access to birth control.
- 73 percent feel that being a virgin should not be embarrassing
- 58 percent feel that high-school age teens should not be sexually active
- Fewer than one half of teens in high school have had sex
- 67 percent of teens who have had sex wish that they had waited (60 percent of boys and 77 percent of girls).
Solving Teen Pregnancy Resources: